Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Tastes of Fall......

The move date was/ is set. Originally we were set to move into the house in Lexington on Oct. 15th. However, that date has gotten pushed back to the 22nd. I definitely feel like I am scrambling to see a lot of people and do a lot of things before I leave.

Here are a few pics of the house for the curious folk:


Front of house... bet you couldn't tell (hehe!)

Lexington

Fenced in backyard with a small patio and deck
Lexington

Part of the living room (looking at the front door) taken from the dining room/ kitchen area. It's a pretty open concept.
Lexington


Fireplace in the living room. It's wood-burning which is what I like :-)
Lexington


Part of the kitchen
Lexington



The rest of the kitchen. I am CELEBRATING counter space!! For those of you who know me, you know that I LOVE to cook and bake. The kitchen in our house in Wooster is...well, let's just say it doesn't have as much counter space.
Lexington

Third bedroom which we will use as a guest room and office area as well.
Lexington

I copied the rest from the website as one huge picture, so I will list what you are looking at:
1) Dining room right off of the kitchen (basically one huge room)
2) Upstairs full bath that will be right next to Jo's room
3) Downstairs half bath
4- 6) All Pics of the master bedroom. Yes, it has it's own bath and walk in closet. I am in HEAVEN!
7-8) 2nd bedroom which will be Jo's room

Lexington
Lexington
Lexington
Lexington
Lexington
Lexington
Lexington
Lexington



I am actually really relieved that we are just renting while for now. I know that it means another move in the future, but I am not ready to buy another house. We signed a pretty long lease (over a year) so at least I know we will be there long enough that it is worth getting really settled. The people we are renting from are awesome (same boat as us- couldn't sell their house so they decided to rent it out). They don't care if we paint or anything. Plus, we can get a dog without any extra charge. Which is good b/c we are planning on getting Jo a puppy for Christmas. That is a topic for a post another day!!


Today was Johanna's last gymnastics class here. So, of course she asked if we could make cookies for everyone. I stupidly said yes and even told her that she could pick the kind. She chose cut-outs before I could tell her that she could choose anything she wanted besides cut- outs. They are just so much work! I suppose I could swallow my pride and not do everything from scratch. Lets face it folks, that's not going to happen....call it the masochistic side of my personality. So, we made heart cut-outs last night as well as pumpkin muffins and chocolate pumpkin bread. I figure if I'm going to make my kitchen a wreck, I might as well make as much as I can! She is such a good helper in the kitchen. She LOVED cutting out the cookies and putting them on the baking sheet. This morning she helped me make pink butter cream frosting. I frosted and she decorated with all sorts of sprinkles and candies (all while sampling of course). By the time we got to gymnastics she was so hopped up on sugar.....let's just say she had a little extra bounce today. I am sure her teacher was very thankful. I made sure to leave her 4 cookies and 2 muffins as penance.

I wish that I didn't love to bake and eat. One without the other would be better for my jeans. I always say my jeans don't lie (sung to the tune of hips don't lie by Shakira).

Meanwhile, we are back at home. Cookies and muffins were shared. Jo has crashed from all the sugar and is half asleep on the big comfy chair in our living room. My kitchen is a wreck and I have frosting and sprinkles all over the dining room (which has carpet). I went to clean up, and I realized that this was probably the last time I will make cut-outs (and have to clean up the ensuing mess) in my house.

I love my house. I worked hard to make this house what it is. I have so many memories of baking in this house. It is in this house where I developed my love for cooking and baking. Before here I thought I didn't like to cook. It was hamburger helper or rice-a-roni....a lot! I am ready to say good-bye to this house, my first house, but I still know it will be sad. This is the house Johanna came home to that chilly February day (It was 2007 Superbowl Sunday and it was FREEZING. I'm talking subzero temps...which I will not miss). I have so many memories in this house.....good and bad, but mostly good.

I know that I will take the memories with me wherever I go. I hope that whoever lives here here next enjoys it as much as I have. It's a great house.

This whole post feels very random, but I think I know where it all started. As I was cooking yesterday, I kept thinking about how much I love fall. It is my favorite season. I love baking with fall tastes of pumpkin and apple. I love the changing leaves and the cooler temperatures and crisp air. Everything that comes with fall just feels so different than summer or winter. It is such a beautiful transition....beautiful way to experience change. Tastes of fall make me think of tastes of change.

So, I will take that attitude into the much bigger change that is happening in my life and realize that transition can be beautiful.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Change can be beautiful, but we will miss you!!! I am glad that you will all be together again though. I hope that your move goes as smoothly as possible. Maybe I can help you pack - once I can walk again. Love ya!

Amy said...

The house is beautiful. I love hearing the stories about your little helper in the kitchen. Change is hopeful but also bittersweet. Your post made me a little sad though I'm happy for you.

Amanda West said...

Love the new house!! Renting is awesome, we're not in a big hurry to buy again.

Your post just about made me cry. You feel the same way about your house as we did about our house that we did a short sale on a few years ago. We miss it, but we've made just as many memories where we are now.