Friday, June 27, 2008

The ongoing saga...

The sickness saga continues...

Johanna was still very ill on Wednesday, and by Thursday morning the rash had spread to her back and arms. Her fever stayed down, but she started tugging at her ear and still wouldn't eat anything. I could just tell that she was so miserable. That was the end of my rope. I called my family doctor determined to get someone to see Johanna. The receptionist I talked to, Heather (oh yeah, I'm calling people out now) was extremely rude and still insisted that there was no way they could see Johanna. I asked to specifically talk to my doctor of more than 20 years. Heather then started slightly retracting. She said that I could not talk to my doctor but that I could talk to her nurse. I still think that Dr. Jolliff has no idea how her patients are treated by the other staff. I was about ready to tell Heather a little about what I thought about her, when I decided that she wan't worth the effort.

I hung up and called a newer medical services at the North-end of Wooster called ASAP Medical Services (or something close to that). The lady who answered the phone was so nice. She informed me that they would take my insurance. However, they normally don't see kids under age two. However, after hearing what had been going on she said that she wanted to talk to the doctor about us and see what they could do. She called me back not even two minutes later and said that they would see us right away (Thank God!).

I took Johanna right away (still in her jammies). We only had to fill out one piece of paperwork and got in very quickly. The nurse was excellent. Johanna was slightly traumatized by her ER visit on Monday (with all the needles), but the nurse was fun and friendly so Johanna did MUCH better than I expected.

The doctor came in quickly and after a short exam said that Johanna was a textbook case of Roseola. She also had a slight ear infection. Poor little girl! He gave me printouts of info about Roseola and Johanna really was a textbook case. She had all the sympotms exactly and even in the right order. We got presrpitions for antibiotics and extra ibprophine which were covered by our insurance. This was REALLY nice of the doctor considering when you have a sick kid you realize that you should have bought stock in ibprophine ( at almost $6 a tiny bottle).

So, the moral of the story is that the only doctor's office that took pity on us was the one that wasn't even one of our doctors. Go figure! All I have to say is "shame on you" to the other offices. I don't blame Dr. Burke or Dr. Jolliff becasue I don't think they knew what was going on. But, shame on the staff at their offices that we spoke to. They are an abombination to the healthcare industry. There was no "health" or "care" in the way they handled this situation. I hope they realize the impact that their attitudes and actions can have on the health of a little one.

Unfortunately for them, they messed with the wrong mama. Thus, I am in the process of writing letters to Dr. Burke, Dr. Jolliff, a letter to the editor, and the govenor (about the state of how healthcare transitions are handled). I just hope their carelessness does not go on to effect another child.

3 comments:

Erika said...

So sorry, Girl! What a nightmare. Interesting b.c the first time Bryce got a rash with a fever, my nurse friend mentioned that it might be roseola, but the rash wasn't really the same as a roseola rash. Wish I would have remembered that when I read what you wrote last time! So glad you got it figured out and got her some medicine. Poor baby! You guys should be back to your summer fun in no time!

Amanda West said...

I've heard of it but I don't know anything about it... (I'll google it when I'm done with this comment!!) I'm so glad that everything is going to be ok!!!

Sally said...

Go for it Rachel! I bet the Doctors don't know how rude the front desk people are. Bunch of bs if ya ask me. I will be looking for your letter to the editor! Glad Johanna's going to be okay!