Sunday, September 21, 2008

Jam Session

I don't have the pictures to prove it yet, but Johanna loves to have jam sessions. She LOVES to play the piano. We sit together and I play and sing while she plays along. Her favorite is Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. I'll play and sing the melody while she just plays along. When I get to the end of the song she always says...."Gin" which stands for "again." We usually repeat this routine about 5 times during our jam sessions.

What some of you may not know is that I also have played violin forever. I started in fourth grade and played throughout high school. I even played for some musicals during high school. I played in the pit orchestra for My Fair Lady and Brigadoon. After high school I played for a local community theater and even taught some lessons when Brian and I moved to Kansas. The sad part is that I haven't played much at all over the past five or six years.

One day during our jam session, I got my violin out. I think this might be the first time that I really played with Johanna. She wasn't sure what to think. I think she kind of liked when I played Twinkle Twinkle, but I have to admit that I have DEFINITELY lost my touch. I started trying to play the Mozart song that we had to play for senior year auditions. Johanna stopped playing the piano, looked over at me, and started saying "No, No!" I stopped and asked, "Do you want mommy to stop playing?" She just replied "OK" which is her way of saying "YES, PLEASE SAVE MY EARS."

I guess this mean that I shouldn't quit my day job.


1 comment:

Amanda West said...

Just checking in to make sure everything's ok, we haven't heard from you for a while!! Man, I thought being a teacher was supposed to be an easy job?! Atleast you get the summers off...