Sunday, June 21, 2009

Conference Momference..what I learned about math and dads

I just got back from a week long intense conference surrounding our math curriculum called- Connected Mathematics 2. It was up at Michigan State University. It was Monday through Friday ALL DAY each day. It was awesome, and I learned a whole lot. In fact, I learned so much that I still am not able to process through a lot of it. I think I need more time to decompress. If any of you teachers are interested, I definitely recommend checking out this very progressive curriculum. It is all inquiry based and totally different than what I ever experienced in math class growing up.

While I was gone, Brian and Jo were left to fend for themselves. I am happy to report that they are both still in one piece. I resisted the urge to ask Brian what she ate everyday (although I did notice that no veggies seemed to have been consumed by Johanna while I was gone). I took a step back and realized that this week would be good for Brian, Johanna, and their relationship with each other. I was totally correct on that one. While Johanna did miss me (our daily conversations consisted of her telling me she loved me, missed me, wanted me to come home, and talking about her "countdown until mommy comes home" that I left for her) , she totally LOVED all the daddy time. I know Brian did too. He kept talking about how lovey she was to him all week. He totally ate up all the "no mommy around" attention, which is good. So, while she was so adorably happy to see me, she also wanted Brian. When I was putting her to bed last night (she always wants mommy) she cried for daddy to come too. He was running an errand, so I let her call him on the phone. She promptly told him that he had to come home, and he was on his way! We waited in her room and did the usual bedtime books and songs. When he got home and walked up the stairs she shouted "My Daddy, My Daddy, That's MY DADDY!" and ran to give him a gigantic hug. It was priceless. Thankfully, she still wanted mommy to give her the last goodnight "hug kiss", but her relationship with daddy has changed in an extra special way. I am so thankful that she has such an amazing daddy- one who loves her soooooooo much and is so supportive of mommy and her job. Even though I know you probably won't read this- Thank you for all that you do. You are the love of my life- HAPPY FATHER'S Day!

No comments: