Monday, August 3, 2009

Things to ponder...

I have learned a lot while enjoying my summer of cooking and baking. Brian and I have both become much healthier (minus the occasional day or two of splurging!) while participating in a weight-loss challenge that I helped to organize. We have become much more aware of what we are putting into our bodies and it's overall value, or lack thereof. We were kind of healthy before, but I definitely have felt convicted to take it to the next level. So.... now you all get to hear about it! My convictions have moved past the use of white flour, potatoes, and bread and have once again focused on foods that are good for our bodies as well as the world around us. Johanna and I love going to the farmers market on Saturday mornings. My little early riser (she's usually up by 7) makes it easy for us to be there when they open at 8. I have to admit that I am extremely blessed because I never really have to buy produce. My dad has 4 gardens this summer, and I am one lucky recipient of MUCH produce!! We get to eat lots of fresh veggies with every meal.

Beyond supporting local farmers who use safe practices (no use of pesticides or other poisons), the farmers market encouraged me to become an avid researcher about our food industry. Most recently, my research has centered around our meat industry. What I have discovered has scared the living daylights out of me! To learn more, check out this movie trailer, and if Food Inc. is still playing in a theater near you then you should definitely go see it. If the movie trailer peaked your interest then you should read this.


All I can now say is that I have a renewed conviction to buy less but of better quality by supporting farmers who offer foods that are safe for me and Brian, but most importantly
foods that are safe for my growing baby. Who knows what the developmental effects of these horrible practices will be down the road? My goal is for me to make these changes without increasing my grocery budget, but by changing a few things around. So far it has been a success! I will keep you posted....

Feel free to ask questions, or let me know what you think!


No comments: