Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Some friends are like a bowl of ice cream...

Yesterday I got the chance to spend the day with an AMAZING friend. Let's call her, ummm......June, just for fun. June came over to help me with some projects around the house (I did mention we are moving, right?). I swear that June and I were separated at birth. One of those friends who eats like you, thinks like you, acts like you. SCARY! When we went out to breakfast she ordered first. Then I was the embarrassed one who had to say that I wanted the EXACT same thing all the way down to how we like our toast. We've already discussed that it was good we didn't meet sooner because 1) we would have gotten into way more trouble 2) we wouldn't have done as well in college (both perfectionists wouldn't ya know). The bottom line is that spending time with June feels like vacation. I get to be me- the real me that secretly has contempt for a lot of things. The me who isn't always perfect or nice. When you put the ability to truly relax and be real on top of liking to do the same things and stir, you get one fantastic friendship.

In the evening we went out for sushi- one of my favorite things (Brian HATES it, so I don't get it often enough). We got lost on our way to the sushi place on Wadsworth (no good sushi in Wooster. Don't believe anyone who tells you different).

Some of you from this area might be asking how a person gets lost in Wadsworth. Good question. The answer might have something to do with the fact that the main road was completed block off. Why you might ask? Not sure I have the why. What I do know is that they were having a parade. A parade on a Tuesday. A parade that consisted of nothing more than what looked like a bunch of people walking down the street in shorts and t-shirts. Did I mention this was in Wadsworth? I am not trying to offend, but what does Wadsworth have to celebrate? Period. Let alone on a Tuesday night. Let alone thinking they need to completely block route 94. Seriously. I was only slightly agitated.

After much chagrin, we found our way to the restaurant, had a GREAT dinner, did some shopping, and then headed home to watch some Gilmore Girls (our fav show) and have a big bowl of chocolate peanut butter ice cream. I must note that I don't typically like chocolate ice cream. But this ice cream was different. It was the kind with huge chunks and swirls of peanut butter in it...so rich and decadent. It was delish!

As I am sitting here this a.m., I am thinking about my fantastic day, my amazing friend, and that bowl of ice cream. Good friends are kind of like that ice cream. They are something you look forward to and sometimes even crave to be with. They bring a richness to life that makes you say ahhhhhhhh and feel at home. They are surprising (hello peanut butter chunks) and there is never a dull moment. Even the quiet moments (just chocolate) are comfortable and fulfilling.

This horrible analogy made me realized how blessed I am to have friends like this in my life. Not just regular go out and have fun friends, or can have a deep conversation with friends. I am talking about friends who will tell you when part of your boob is hanging out the side of your swimsuit or if you have a booger stuck on your nose ring. The kind of friends who helps you decide which pair of sweatpants make your butt look better so you can still feel kind of cute even when your vegging out.

I hope you all have friends like that, and I am so glad I do.

*Note- A HUGE thank you to my parents, grandma, great aunt Ginger, and in-laws for taking care of Jo. Yes, people. I still have a child, and I didn't just give her 20 boxes of bandaids and shut her in her room all day with bread and water. Thank God for family. I am sure she had a blast.

No comments: